(Sponsored by: NATO)
The Atlantic club of Bulgaria organized a one-day conference entitled “Current Security Challenges in the Black Sea Region” in order to stress on the importance of the issue by bringing together members of the government, NGO sector, international experts, academic representatives and media. Three main topics were highlighted during the event: migration, hybrid warfare, and energy security in the region.
The main goals of the project were:
- To raise public awareness of Black Sea’s countries cooperation in the context of NATO
- To encourage dialogue in the Security sector in the Black Sea region
- To discuss the future of NATO’s role in Black Sea region in the context of NATO Warsaw Summit in 2016
- Providing platform for discussion between NATO member countries in the region such as Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey and NATO partners such as Ukraine, Georgia and Russia
- To ensure the active involvement of media as a stakeholder
- Providing the opportunity for development of mutual cooperation with the other Black Sea region’s countries
- Providing a platform for discussion where the main stakeholders (representatives of Black Sea Region) will present their point of view
- Expert Analysis of the new security challenges – DAESH, Hybrid warfare, energy security
- Discussion on the advantages and disadvantages (political, social, financial) of migrant process in the region
The event took place in Sofia, Bulgaria, on 22 April 2016.